Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 31: Chest, Shoulders and Tris, Ab Ripper X

Today was another 100 degree day in NYC, so I decided to get this out of the way early. I went to bed dreading it and woke with fear in my heart. However, and I know this is going to come as a huge shock to everyone, but I actually didn’t hate this workout! It is, as promised, extremely pushup intensive, but as pushups are sort of self-limiting, it didn’t wear me out too badly. Also, as with other upper body workouts, it wasn’t cardiovascularly strenuous, so it almost feels like a break from things like Kenpo and Core.

Make no mistake, though – this workout is no joke. Even for those of us who have to do pushups on our knees, you will tire quickly and hit max reps quickly. And one-arm pushups, please. I’d have to be on my stomach to do them. It’s clear from the video though that Tony doesn’t expect you to be able to get down low, so no big deal. I was even able to do a few clap pushups (from my knees) which surprised the hell out of me. I also really love that they included a woman who was not Dreya, Pam or one of those skinny yoga bitches, and who (although a P90X grad) struggled with the pushups almost as much as I did. Anyway, all of that to say – I like this workout. I may like it less tomorrow when I’m trying to do the asanas in Yoga X with gummi-triceps, but for now, it’s all good.

As for Ab Ripper X, I did not miss it during recovery week but surprisingly it wasn’t so bad. I did 249 reps, which blew away my old record of 226!

No comments:

Post a Comment